Markit India Services Pvt Ltd
Duties & accountabilities
- Design and build highly available Microsoft SQL solutions, making use of log shipping, mirroring and Always On technologies
- Ensure performance, security, and availability of databases
- Prepare documentation and specifications
- Handle common database procedures such as upgrade, backup, recovery, migration, etc.
- Profile server resource usage, and optimize and tweak as necessary
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Work closely with the SQL Operations team, and act in a mentoring capacity to junior DBAs
- Collaborate with the global Engineering and Production Support teams to create aforward-looking service improvement plans and roadmaps.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of operating systems and hardware and making recommendations on improving administration, availability, scalability, and disaster recovery of current systems.
Business competenciesEducation and experience
A minimum of 5 years working as a Senior Microsoft SQL Database Engineer.
- In depth experience with Microsoft SQL 2005 and later
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft TSQL, and ideally its variants in other popular RDBMS
- Skilled at optimizing large complicated SQL statements
- Knowledge of best practices when dealing with relational databases
- Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server merge and transactional replication
- A good working knowledge of designing and implementing HA solutions, including use of Always On FCI and Availability Groups
- Capable of troubleshooting common database issues
- Familiar with tools that can aid with profiling server resource usage and optimizing it
- An appreciation of storage technologies such as iSCSI and Fibre Channel
- An appreciation and understanding of VMWareESXi technologies with respect to implementing Microsoft SQL Server
- Familiar with storage technologies, particularly NetApp andPureStorage to a level needed to raise storage provisioning requests
- Experience with Microsoft clustering and/or other clustering technologies.
- Experienced troubleshooting and problem management
- Experience with performance and availability monitoring systems.
- A working knowledge of ITIL
Ability to understand business objectives and focus and prioritize multiple projects accordingly.
Willingness to take ownership of production issues is a must, as is the ability to provide support to other members of the team.
Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in the English language.