JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co ("JPMC") is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally conform to the Corporation's lines of business ("LOBs") and corporate staff areas, allowing the legal staff to work closely with specific groups on a daily basis.
J.P. Morgan Asset and Wealth Management (AWM) is one of the largest asset and wealth managers in the world.
AWM serves distinct client groups globally through multiple businesses: institutional and retail clients through Asset Management (AM), and high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth clients through Wealth Management (WM), which includes the Private Bank. AWM offers global investment management in equities, fixed income, real estate, hedge funds, private equity and liquidity. AWM also provides trust and estate, banking, and brokerage services to high net worth clients, and retirement services for corporations and individuals.
JPMorgan's Legal Department seeks an experienced lawyer to support its Cross Border efforts, focusing primarily on reviewing and analyzing legal opinions related to cross border asset and wealth management product and service delivery. The selected candidate will support efforts to drive documentation of cross border laws and regulations, and to communicate related requirements to the business.
Location and Reporting Lines:
The location of this position is Mumbai, India, at the J.P. Morgan Mumbai Corporate Centre ("MCC") functionally reporting to the Managing Director and Associate General Counsel for AWM in the United States, and to a local supervisor at the MCC.
- First review of new draft cross border memoranda and legal opinions and facilitate regular update of existing cross border memoranda (CBMs) and legal opinions (Opinions).
- Engage with external counsel, Compliance, AWM lawyers and other stakeholders to source feedback on CBMs and Opinions.
- Field basic queries from Compliance concerning the use and content of CBMs/Opinions and fact-specific queries.
- Act as first point of contact in the Legal Department for assistance in advising on potential CBM issues.
- Provide regular feedback to the AWM business and cross border forums on pending reviews and drafting summaries of updates.
- Conduct additional research and assist on special projects as needed.
- Fluent in written and spoken English, with excellent English writing and communication skills.
- Law degree and membership in jurisdictional organization. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
- Sufficiently well qualified to interpret and summarize external legal advice and articulate rules of the road for the business.
- Self-starter who is able to work collaboratively in a high performing team, takes ownership of responsibilities and projects, is results-oriented and flexible.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work in a fast-paced, complex business environment and maintain communication with attorneys regarding project status and estimated completion timelines.
- Competence with the suite of Microsoft Office products, including Microsoft Excel.
- All candidates for roles in the Legal Department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
- LLM preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in financial services law.
- Experience instructing and interacting with external counsel directly
- Experience working across jurisdictions and time zones.
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.