Modern School Society
The Institute for Research and Development in School Education (IRDSE) is a new centre of excellence being established by the Modern School Society. Its vision is to empower educators to meet the highest standards of quality education so that they can become catalysts of change, make a difference in the community they serve, and bring out the best in themselves and their students. It aims to be recognised as a leading school education research centre and a leading training institute for teachers across the globe. The first Director (Research), Prof. Marie-Carine Lall, is a senior international academic, who is regarding as one of the world’s leading education researchers.
IRSDE seeks to appoint a research associate (focusing on qualitative methods) to work at the new centre of excellence.
The main duties of the roles are to conduct qualitative and/or mixed methods research under the supervision of senior colleagues and contribute to the production of research outputs and research outcomes. This will include collecting data and analysing national standardised large databases and questionnaire surveys. The person will also contribute to synthesising different strands of qualitative and quantitative data on the research projects and report writing. The person will also be required to assist in communicating the results of the research to the funder and where appropriate, different key stakeholder groups. The roles are most suitable for someone with qualitative and/or mixed methods research expertise in the field of education.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Desktop research (inc. literature and policy review): Sourcing, reviewing and critically analysing relevant literature from a wide range of scholarly and policy/practice-related sources; and the preparation of analytical and summative research papers.
- Organise, design and carry out fieldwork (including ethics application)
- Conduct primary and secondary data analysis: Conducting detailed analysis of different forms of qualitative data including large national databases/ surveys
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of research project databases including the storing of data
- Work closely with the team and with external stakeholders to manage relationships and deliver outputs
- Synthesise and write up the results of research, including their policy and practice implications in research reports
- Under the direction of the Director, write high-quality outputs for publication, including papers to be submitted to peer-reviewed journals and conferences
- Help organise conferences and seminars: engaging in research capacity-building activities, in cooperation and collaboration with colleagues and other researchers
- Manage and coordinate one or more research projects.
Required Experience, Skills and Qualifications
Applicants must have completed their Ph. D. (or be close to completion) in a relevant discipline prior to appointment and have academic research experience in public policy, economics, or other similar fields.
- For the Qualitative position, applicants should additionally be from the social sciences, with relevant academic experience in education or similar fields.
As part of the application candidates need to submit:
- 3 References – one of which has to be an academic reference
- Transcript of degrees
- A piece of no less than 3,500 words that either has already been published or has been written for publication
Job Type: Full-time
- Doctorate (Required)
- Paid leaves / Leave encashment
- Provident fund (PF)
- Health insurance
- Education & Instruction